The San Saba County/Baylor Scott & White Blood Drive is making a return to us on Tuesday, July 7th!!! There are a few changes, as you will see, listed below.
Please feel free to call Marsha Hardy with any questions or comments at 325-372-8570.
• Blood Drive: First Baptist Church (sponsored by San Saba County Emergency Management)
Tuesday, July 7th from Noon (12 PM) – 6 PM at 208 W. Wallace, San Saba
ALL BLOOD DONORS IN JULY WILL RECEIVE: Free limited-edition t-shirt with "Texas Blood Donor Strong"
• Photo ID is required to donate. All donors 18 or younger are required to show proof of age.
• For your safety, appointments are STRONGLY recommended, and masks are required to be worn during appointment.
• Appointments PREFERRED – schedule on BSWBlood.com or call 254-724-4376 (walk-ins will only be permitted as space allows)
A letter for Donor Precautions:
As you may know, the caution surrounding COVID-19 has had a serious impact on the blood supply at all levels. Baylor Scott & White Blood Center has been working diligently to ensure a sufficient supply remains available, and a strong response from the Central Texas community has been instrumental in this mission. We are happy to confirm that we will be coming to the First Baptist Church in San Saba, to collect healthy and willing blood donors at that time.
A few things have changed given the current situation and need for social distancing.
To ensure maximum donor and staff safety, the following additional precautions are in place:
1. Scheduled appointments are STRONGLY suggested and walk-ins will only permitted as space allows. This step is critical in adherence to distancing guidelines within registration, collection, and refreshment areas, as well as to make this vital community service as convenient as possible for the donors. Please schedule your appointment at BSWBlood.com, selecting the July 7th San Saba schedule. If you need assistance, please call 254-724-4376.
Donors without appointments will be taken on a first come, first served basis as space permits; please keep in mind that we must limit traffic at the registration area, and follow closely the guidelines for spacing between donors waiting.
2. Hand sanitizer is available to donors at all points in the process, and donors are required to wear a mask during their donation appointment. Staff will be masked as well.
3. In keeping with current process, only individually wrapped snacks and drinks are being offered.
4. Access to any collection unit is being limited to donors only; no guests are permitted at this time.
5. All areas continue to be cleaned following existing best practices, and we have increased sanitization as well.
6. Following existing guidelines, donors who do not feel well and healthy as asked not to present for donation.
7. On the day of the drive, donors may proceed to the blood mobile at their scheduled time, where they will be COVID screened prior to entry. If there is not space available on the mobile unit at that time (although we do our best to prevent it, this can happen on occasion despite scheduled appointments), donors will be asked to wait in their vehicles and will be called when space is available.
Anyone with eligibility questions may contact the donor center at 254-724-4376.
Also - GREAT NEWS – the BSWBC implemented the revised FDA guidance on donor eligibility criteria Wednesday, June 17th! That means that if donors were previously deferred for European travel related to US military bases (such as Germany), travel to malarial areas, tattoos/ body piercings received at a non-Texas state licensed facility, or have a history of certain types of cancer, blood transfusion, or blood exposure through needle stick (among others – there are many exciting, science-based changes), THEY MAY NOW BE ELIGIBLE TO DONATE! A form will be available on BSWBlood.com by June 26th – they should fill out this form BEFORE the next blood drive, so our staff can review for eligibility and allow them to donate the day of the drive!