History of The American Legion

Despite the initial resistance to accept the GI’s into the Legion, the old Doughboys were determined to ensure that America’s new veterans would not have to suffer and experience the treatment they had received after the Great War. Their assimilation back into civilian life had not gone well. In December 1943, Harry Colmery, the national Commander of the American Legion, wrote the outline of a congressional bill to assist returning veterans. It was known as the “GI Bill of Rights.” To avoid another disastrous “1932 Bonus March” on the capital by thousands of angry veterans, Congress passed, and Roosevelt signed into law the GI Bill of Rights in June 1944. This ensured GI’s access to hospitals, rehabilitation, loans for farms, businesses and homes, and opportunities for college and vocational education.

The strength of the Legion is the post. With new benefits available to returning veterans, the local Legion post became even more important. Every post has a “service officer,” one who is especially trained in navigating the veteran through the maze of government forms and paperwork for benefits. For veterans of Submitted by Post Adjutant

WWI, it was the 1935 - Payment Adjustment Service Certificates or “Cash Bonus Settlement.” For WWII veterans, it was National Service Life Insurance, disability compensation and the other new benefits of the GI Bill. This service was available to any qualified veteran whether he was a member of the Legion or not. In San Saba County, the greatest benefit to veterans was perhaps in education. 28

In April 1946, the San Saba County Vocational School for Veterans, was established. Courses were offered in accounting, bookkeeping, cabinet making, mechanics, and agriculture. Initially, the school was referred to as the “San Saba Branch” of the Goldthwaite Vocational School for Veterans. By October 1946, the school became part of the San Saba School District. Another branch of the school was established at Richland Springs. By 1948, there were 120 students enrolled: 97 in San Saba and 23 in Richland Springs. In December 1952, the school was the first in the state to become certified to enroll Korean War veterans. Known Legionnaires of Post 27 who taught there were Ray W. Harris, T. A. Davenport and Warden Terry. By 1958, the school had closed its doors, but the old school would continue to serve the American Legion and the community. 29

In 1948, the American Legion took control of the building. Initially, the facility was constructed from eight Army barracks that had been moved from Camp Bowie in Brownwood. It took about one year to remodel, but on April 24, 1959, the Legion building was open for business. A special memorial of granite stone was donated by the City National Bank which reads, “DEDICATED TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED IN THE DEFENSE OF THEIR COUNTRY.” It was about 5,000 square feet, complete with a kitchen, and large enough for homecoming, rodeo, Christmas dances, family reunions, business conferences, school proms and banquets. Just about every community organization of consequence used the facility from 1959 to 1992. These were the most fruitful years of the Wiley B. Murray Post and the community. 30

TO BE CONTINUED

All sources are available upon request. (325-205-0180)