From the San Saba News & Star Archives 70 Years Ago July 22, 1954
Four births were reported at the San Saba Memorial Hospital. A boy, Dale, 6 pounds, 8 ounces, born July 13 to Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Germany; a boy, Joe Damon, 7 pounds, 4 ounces, born July 13 to Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Brooks; a girl, Susan Radene, 7 pounds, 9 ounces, born July 13 to Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Combs; and a boy, Sidney Jay, 7 pounds, 4 ounces, born to Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Roberts.
Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Alexander and children returned from a weeks vacation at Corpus Christi. While they were there they fished at Padre Island and enroute home visited the zoo in San Antonio.
Four San Saba youths are among the 343 band and twirling students enrolled in McMurry College’s sixth annual Vacation Band School. They are Bobbie Lee Locker, Paula Bryant, Barbara Sue Shaw and Ruth Timberlake.
Pvt. Carl Tyler has returned to Ft. Bliss after spending a 17 day furlough with his wife and new daughter, Carla Ann, who was born while Pvt. Tyler was here.
Miss Lucy Rector left for Ft. Worth where she will visit her sister-in-law, Mrs. Knight Rector. They plan to visit in Pinebluff, Ark., with relatives.
Mrs.T. F. Lanier was in Stephenville for her daughter, Mirabelle, who is a student at Tarleton College. Miss Lanier will spend the summer at home and enter the University of Texas in the fall.
50 Years Ago July 18, 1974
Miss Nanna Marley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thurman Marley of Bend, left for Guadalajara, Mexico where she will be a student in Universidad de Guadalajara for five weeks. Included in her studies is the country’s folklore.
The foundation and floor have been poured for Cherokee Steak House, which will be located between the Cherokee Feed Store and Rocky Terry’s Veterinary Clinic.
Timothy W. Summers is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James O. Summers, enroute from the Navy recruit training command in Orlando Fla. to San Diego, Calif. where he will attend a radio school. Summers is a 1971 graduate of San Saba High School. He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Summers of Richland Springs and Mr. and Mrs. Jess Parker of San Saba.
City crews are in the process of emptying the first sediment tanks of used lime. The white stuff, now useless, is scooped out of the pit and transported to the city dump instead of being allowed to flow into the San Saba River as it used to do. While this one is being cleaned out a second is being filled nearby.
San Saba County’s oldest public building celebrates its 90th birthday this year. County Sheriff Brantley Barker has been given permission by County Commissioners to investigate the possibility of getting a new jail in the same manner that Lampasas and Brady got theirs. It was recommended that the city-county combine their efforts to replace the 1884 structure of blue limestone in Italyanate––Texas style. The original jail cost $13,000 and the lot $500. A historical marker was erected May 18, 1969.
Two San Saba men traveled to San Angelo with their tractors to compete in the 1974 San Angelo Tractor Pull. Both brought home trophies for their efforts. Taking 5th place in the 12,000-pound Texas Non-Turbo contest was Ruben Almaguer with his John Deere 4230 tractor and a 287’,11” pull. Roger McGehee received a 6th place trophy as his UB Moline tractor pulled over 156’ in the 9,000-pound division.