The San Saba County Pecan Food Show will be held Friday, December 5th at the Courthouse in San Saba. All San Saba county residents are eligible and are invited to enter. All entries must be brought to the Courthouse between 7:30 and 9:00am that day.
There are 3 divisions of competition:
1. Youth (grades K-12)
2. San Saba Co. Extension Education Club Women
3. Non-Club members (includes all other men, women who live in San Saba County)
Any rule not followed will become grounds for disqualification.
1. All entries including heir containers will become the property of the San Saba County Extension Education Clubs.
2. An individual may enter TWO items in each class and may enter in more than one class. The class and entry requirements are as follows:
A. Cookies — 2 dozen
B. Candy — 2 pounds or at least 24 pieces
C. Fancy Nuts—3 cups (can be minted, dipped, salted or sugared)
D. Cakes—1 cake
E. Pie—1 pie
F. Breads—1 loaf
G. Appetizers—24 pieces
H. Sugar Free category includes pies, cakes, cookies, & breads in same amount as listed above.
3. All entries must contain pecans (not just decorations). Mixes, including piecrust, may be used as a starter for breads, cakes, and pies. Each participant must prepare his or her own entry.
4. All entries must be on a disposable plate or cardboard covered with plastic wrap. Pies should be in foil pie plates
5. All entries must have entrant’s name taped to the bottom for identification.
6. All entries must have the category and the name of the food taped to the top. Submitting the recipe of the dish entered is optional. Submitting the recipe gives approval for the recipe to be used in the Pecan Food Show Cookbook and in the newspaper.
7. Ribbons will be awarded the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each class and division. 1st place winners will also receive a prize. A Champion and Reserve Champion will be selected from the first place winners in that particular division. The Grand champion and the Reserve Champion from each division will receive $100 and $50, respectively.
8. Entries will be judged on attractiveness, taste, originality, texture, and use of pecans.