What is Technology?
Computers, cell phones, pagers, MP3 players/IPODS, hand-held video games, and other mobile devices
Everyone’s doing it! It is estimated that…
· 55% of kids aged 8 to 18 own a hand-held video game
· 45% of kids aged 8 to 18 have a cell phone with text messaging
· 37% of kids aged 8 to 18 own a MP3 Player
· 26% of kids aged 8 to 18 have a laptop
· 13% of kids aged 8 to 18 have some type of hand-held internet device
Can’t live with them…Can’t live without them…
· 60% of 6th graders reported using the internet; by 7th grade, usage increased to 82%
· 94% of teens report using the internet by the time they reach the 11th or 12th grade
What can they possibly be doing??
· Email: 89% of the time
· Movies/TV show info: 84% of the time
· Online video games: 81% of the time
· Instant Messaging (IM): 75% of the time
· Downloading music: 51% of the time
· Online purchases: 43% of the time
My Child would NEVER….
· It is reported that 11 million teens view porn regularly online; 70% of whom find it “by accident”
· One-third (1/3) of kids in grades 7th to 12th say they are older in order to gain access to a website
· 42% of parents DO NOT review or monitor the content that their kids read/send online
Why are parents not monitoring?
· Keeping up is hard to do
· Kids access the internet on their own
· Kids have more computer smarts than their parents
Parents: Don’t become a statistic…
· Have kids access the computer from a common area in your home
· Use internet filters
· Set time limits for online use
Kids: Don’t become a statistic…
· NEVER give personal information to anyone you meet online
· NEVER get together with someone you meet online
· Do not fill out “fun” questionnaires that are forwarded…even if they are from your friends
· Make sure you know everyone on your buddy list
· If you don’t know who sent the email, don’t respond. Just delete
· Private? What’s that? It does not exist on the internet
· Be careful of the pictures you post. If you don’t want your parents, teacher, pastor, or future college advisor to see it, it may not be a good idea to post it
· Never share your password with anyone except your parents
Is my child ready for this?
· Ages 7-9: Some kids will want to start emailing. IM (instant messaging) is not a good idea.
· Age 10-12: Children will begin to explore on their own for school and for fun. IMing comes into play here for the first time - more so for girls than for boys.
· Ages 13-16: The Full Monty! It’s entirely age-appropriate for this group to email, IM, surf the Web, download, and play games. However, Parents, make sure your kids know your rules.
How can you become a cool media savvy parent?
1. Visit an online social networking site (facebook or myspace, for example).
2. Play a video game with your kid.
3. Download something your kids will like.
4. Check out You/Tube. (www.youtube.com)
5. Invest in a digital video recorder (DVR).
6. Learn how to manage your kids online lives.