The San Saba ISD held a special Board meeting on Thursday, September 30th, in the high school library. The agenda was a presentation by Dr. Paul Troutman of the Texas Association of School Boards, who gave his findings of a recently completed District Facility Study commissioned by the SSISD Board of Trustees during the spring of 2008. Dr. Troutman’s information has been given to the TASA and they will draft it and send it to Superintendent Glaze.
Dr. Troutman gave his credentials and explained the following Facility Study as follows:
• Made analysis of buildings and sites;
• Identified problems, shortcomings, inadequacies;
• Gathered information from Superintendent and staff;
• Gathered information from faculty;
• Reviewed building blueprints;
• Made on-site inspections;
• Reviewed program profiles;
• Analized individual needs;
• Examined buildings, site, and neighborhood for safety;
• Reviewed classroom management and room size;
• Reviewed history of the area's population and enrollment; and
Dr. Troutman showed an aerial view of the 15.4 acre site.
Dr. Troutman’s findings included:
1. According to State standards, all three buildings (HS, MS, Elem.) are seriously overcrowded;
2. Improvements to Elementary building could exceed the amount to build a new structure;
3. Safety issues exist because of public streets throughout the site;
4. Offices for each building should be located at entrance;
5. Handicap accessibility needs improvement;
6. Classroom space is inadequate;
7. There are problems related to traffic;
8. Renovations would be costly;
9. Facilities are not in compliance with some State standards ;
10. Some buildings are deteriorating beyond repair;
11. Recommended setting up a plan with goals.
Those who attended the 2 1/2 hour meeting were: Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze; Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart; President Darrin Barker; Vice President Marcie Maxcey; Secretary Bob Whitten; Board Members Elmo Davis, Angela Johnson and Kim Kirk; Dr. Paul Troutman and San Saba News & Star Reporter Alice Smith.