President Darrin Barker called to order the September 15th Regular Board meeting of the San Saba Independent School District followed by the invocation and pledges to the American and Texas flags. All board members were present.
There were three people signed up for Public Comment and they were given a paper that gave information on the conduct and guidlines for speakers. Robert and Maria Pryor addressed the board regarding the letter to the editor in the San Saba News written by Robert Pryor. Sylvia Juarez addressed the board pertaining to the scheduling of lunch for the high school students and middle school students at the same time.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze reported the following:
- Important meeting scheduled September 30, at 6 p.m. to go over the facility study report by Dr. Troutman.
- October 13th, 7 p.m. will be the next Board meeting.
- Open House is set for October 20 - Incentive checks will be presented to the Middle School and Elementary school during this event.
- Elementary school grants are in the process of being completed.
- The rules and regulations at the Track has been put in an enclosed structure.
- Last Friday a group prepared 150 sand bags to be ready for flooding.
- Football players sent letters to people in the community and are getting good responces.
The following Consent Agenda was approved.
Minutes from August 28, 2008 Special Board Meeting; Pay bills; financial report.
Mr. Tabor gave the following Elementary Report:
Enrollment is 278 - up 3% from last year.
Grant papers have been completed and ready to file.
Implementing Reading, Intervention, and other programs.
K thru 4th looking forward to Pep Rally Friday
Planners for 4th is being implemented and 3rd after Christmas.
Mr. Pannel gave the Middle School Report:
Enrollment is 5th grade - 60; 6th grade - 52; 7th grade - 53 and 8th grade - 56 totalling 211 and 2 more will enroll soon.
Grand Central Station, a new program, is being implemented.
A newsletter by Mr. Pannel was given to the Board members before the meeting. The first day of school went very well because of the preparation and efficiency of the faculty and students cooperated. Mr. Pannell will assume as Middle School Principal for one year.
Athletic Director Johnson did not have a report at this time
Approved the following New Business:
- 2008-2009 Employee Handbook including required updates. Handbook will be posted on website.
- Donations received were - District Club made last payment and Booster Club gave funds to Athletic Department.
President adjourned the meeting announcing that the Board would go into a closed meeting after a short break.
Attending the meeting were: Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart, Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze, President Darrin Barker, Vice President Marcie Maxcey, Secretary Bob Whitten, Board Members Susie Nettleship, Elmo Davis, Angela Johnson, Kim Kirk; Superintendent Sec. Jackie Dyer; Athletic Director Johnson, Principals Mr. Tabor,Mr. Pannell and Mr.Underwood; the following signed in: Cecilia Huron, Dana Pannel, Vickie Key, Don Isham, Robert Pryor, Maria Pryor, Sylvia Juarez and San Saba News & Star Reporter Alice Smith.
There was no action taken on items dicussed in closed session.