President Darrin Barker called the August meeting of the San Saba ISD Board of Trustees to order stating that all Board members were present. President Barker gave the invocation followed by everyone joining for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
President Barker declared a Public Hearing on 2008-2009 Budget. County Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze presented a review of the 2008-2009 proposed budget. Glaze compared the proposed budget to the 2007-2008 budget and expenditures. The student ratio is going down, which means the state funding for the District is less. Ten years ago, the state funded 81% of the budget, and now it is 71%. Adding to our costs are state requirements that are not completely funded by the state of Texas. Glaze answered questions and Buck Martin, County Business Manager, was on hand for discussion also.
After the Proposed Budget Hearing, the regular Board meeting started at 7:07 p.m. The minutes of the July 14th meeting were approved. Athletic Director, Joel Johnson, was in attendance and needed to go be with the Varsity football team practice at 7:30, so he presented his report and left the meeting. Johnson reported that there are 53 boys in the football program this year in grades 9 through 12. They are working really hard and sweating a lot during practices in this hot weather. Looking forward to the new scoreboard which should be arriving this week and will work on getting it set up. The new coaches are outstanding and are doing a great job. There will be a scrimmage with Junction this Saturday that will include introducing football and band players.
Superintendent Glaze gave the following information:
• This year's new mission and motto;
• August 15 - "Welcome New Teachers" luncheon at the Civic Center;
• August 18 - Traditional breakfast, 7:30-8:30
• Wednesday, August 20 - Hosting District in-service meeting with six schools represented;
• Presented the Board members their season tickets;
• The Board bought property next to Rogan Field and utilization plans need to be implemented;
• September 30 - There will be a meeting with Dr. Troutman of the Texas Association of School Boards, who has surveyed and studied the school property and will make some recommendations;
• A report on the future plans of building a new elementary school;
• Received $51,460 for email, phone and communications Internet funding;
• Submitted the list of current substitute teachers;
• August 28 at Noon - Date set for revisions and approval of 2008-2009 budget;
• Monday, September 15 at 7 p.m. - Date of next regular Board meeting;
• The funds arrived to replace the purchase of four portable defibrillators that the District bought last summer; and
• Distributed a list of "Hot Topics" concerning school funding issues, presented by Texas schools to our legislatures.
Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart gave a Curriculum and Assessment Report.
High School Principal Dave Underwood reported 208 students are expected this school year: 47 freshman; 52 sophomores; 58 juniors; and 51 seniors. School scheduling has been reported on the marque, website and San Saba News. Looking forward to the opportunities of the new school year.
Elementary Principal Mr. Tabor recognized Ms. Glaze and Ms. Stewart for implementing a new strategy two years ago which is making a difference now. There are three teachers per grade level except for 3rd grade which has a smaller amount of students. At the present time, there are 13 three-year-olds; 22 four-year-olds; and 25 kindergarten registered at this time. Other grades are scheduled to register next week.
The Middle School Principal was offered a job closer to his home town and the Board "let him out of his contract" to take the job. So, the Board is interviewing for the vacant position at this time.
The Board approved the following:
• Minutes from June 9, 2008 regular Board meeting and the special session on June 17, 2008;
• Amended 2007-2008 budget as needed;
• Allow and pay bills; and
• Financial report.
The following New Business was discussed and the following action taken:
• Approved to certify Tax Roll;
• Adopted 2008-2009 Budget;
• Set M&O tax rate at $1.04 and I&S tax rate at .09 with the resolution that "we are not reaching 65% on instruction; we are 62.8%."; and
• Voted "No" for issuance of Election Order for November 4, 2008 Tax Ratification Election.
There was some discussion about the District's free lunches for teachers and the teachers' allowance for supplies. It was agreed that both of these are very beneficial and appreciated.
The regular Board meeting session was adjourned and after a short break, they entered into a closed meeting. During the closed session, the Board accepted the following resignations with regrets: Erbey Valdez and Mari Cruz Valdez. The Board approved monthly stipends for Jeff Pannell, who accepted the position as the Acting Administrator for the Middle School. Jeff will be assisted by Dave Underwood and Vicky Key.
Attending the regular meeting were: President Darrin Barker; Vice President Marcie Maxcey; Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze; Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart; Secretary Bob Whitten; Trustees Susie Nettleship, Elmo Davis, Angela Johnson and Kim Kirk; Jackie Dyer, secretary to the Superintendent; Business Manager Buck Martin; Principals Tabor and Underwood; Athletic Director Johnson; and Alice Smith, reporter for the San Saba News.