The San Saba Garden Club's June Yard of the Month is The Lidstone House at 204 S. 4th Street. The Lidstone house has been owned by Charles & Gray-Leigh Peeler since 1994. The home was purchased from Mary Brown, who had cared for the property since 1978 after purchasing it from the Lidstone Estate.
The original home was built by Dr. Holman around 1875.
When Dr. Holman’s wife died, she was buried on the north-west corner of the block. Within a matter of a few months Dr. Holman had remarried, possibly thinking of his young children and their need for a mother.
1885 N.D. Lidstone bought the home, along with the block of land that it was on. Stables were built on the south-west corner of the lot, with a well and windmill in front. In making the purchase, Mr. Lidstone specifically asked that the grave of Mrs. Holman be relocated.
In 1899 the home was completely remodeled and rebuilt.
Blue limestone rock was hauled in from Chapel Hill for the foundation. However, the basic structure of the original building was left intact on the west side of the present house.
In 1930 the exterior of the house was changed slightly by the removal of some Victorian details that were then replaced in 1995.
At times bedrooms in the home were rented out to boarders by Miss Helen and Miss Edith Lidstone. The sisters never married and taught school in San Saba. Of note, the Lidstone sisters had the first flushing-toilet installed in town.
The Lidstone family continuously occupied the house from 1885-1978, leaving unique furniture that remains in the home to this day. The pine floors, woodwork, transoms, and front doors are all original, along with the “widow’s walk” on top of the roof that has since had iron railing removed. There are a total of 6 coal-burning fireplaces and chimneys. Two of the porches (west & south sides) were enclosed at various times.
In 2011 Patricio Rodriquez & his company, Latino Construction, completely rebuilt the old limestone rock foundation using the original stones and replaced all of the porches using composite decking. Some of the railings were replaced and painted.
Kynda Jordan and Patricio Rodriquez designed and implemented the landscaping, using mostly Texas native plants and trees.
The garage is primarily used for storage and as a stable for Gray-Leigh’s horses during foaling season. One can occasionally see mares & colts grazing in the yard-
The Lidstones would have liked that!