President Darrin Barker called to order the San Saba ISD Board of Trustees regular meeting on July 21st at 7:20 p.m., followed by the invocation and pledges to the American and Texas flags.
Retired teacher, Jane Carter, introduced the FCCLA team that she accompanied to Florida to compete in the National Leadership Meeting and won gold. Nathania Cisneroz also went to Florida and attended a workshop as a National Conference officer. The team consisted of Audrey Pierce, Bonnie Hunt and Regan Hartranft. The girls shared their presentation, experiences and sight-seeing activities. They presented an appreciation gift for each member of the Board of Trustees in recognition of their financial support. The students were very thankful for the opportunity to attend this important event. The Board, in turn, commented how proud they and everyone in the community were of them and their accomplishments.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze presented the following Reports and Comments:
• A small separation in a wall of the gym is being investigated by an engineer;
• Copies of San Saba County Appraisal District Proposed Budget;
• Copies of Lampasas County Appraisal District Proposed Budget;
• HVAC repair at Dillo Cafe;
• Update on summer maintenance projects which included: Rogan Field; assembling new storage building at Mill Pond Track; using insurance money for repairs at Mill Pond Track; new stove in cafeteria; HS and MS computer labs are complete, with the Elementary next in line; new fence and other security issues; and new $36,000 scoreboard will be here end of July (paid in full through donations);
• The September TASA/TASB Convention in Dallas is September 26-28;
• Report of the preliminary FIRST rating;
• The City Council of San Saba approved a contract for SSISD to use Mill Pond Track for sports activities;
• Sixteen (16) cameras have been installed for safety and surveillance; and
• Fall schedules: August 15th-Staff Orientation Lunch; August 16th-"Meet the Dillos"; August 18th-Welcome Back; August 20th-Hosting 6 School Districts; August 25th-First Day of School.
Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart reported on the retesting results and the Texas Comprehension Reading Reports. Superintendent Glaze recognized Ms. Stewart for recently having an in-service workshop for teachers, concerning the curriculum, etc.
The following Consent Agenda was approved:
• Minutes from June 9, 2008 Regular Board Meeting and June 17, 2008 Budget Workshop;
• Amend 2007-2008 budget as needed;
• Allow and pay bills;
• Financial Report;
• Appraisal Calendar and appraisers for 2008-2009;
• Waiver application to the Texas Education Agency for low attendance day in 2007-2008 school year due to illness; and
• Designation of 2nd period (or 10 a.m.) as attendance accounting period for all campuses in the SSISD, beginning the 2008-2009 school year and in subsequent years.
The Superintendent read the updates or revisions to Policy Update 83, affecting local policies. The Board approved the revisions.
The following New Business was unanimously approved:
• Changes in student handbook regarding cell phones and dress code violations;
• Awarded 2008-2009 bids for food, non-food items, fuel and oil; and
• Student UIL insurance carrier for 2008-2009 will be the same as last year.
The following New Business was tabled:
• Consider/approve District plan for compliance with administration of investments and 403b plans; and
• Consider/approve designation of third party administrator of investments and 403b plans.
The Board approved the next meeting date of August 11th to adopt 2008-2009 M&O Budget and tax rate.
An approved 2008-2009 tentative Tax Rate will be presented in the official notice for the newspaper. The current rate is $1.04 and the proposed rate is slightly higher.
Earlier this month, Superintendent Glaze met with the principals to review the Safety Audit.
President Barker adjourned the two-hour meeting. Those in attendance were: Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze, Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart, President Darrin Barker, Vice-President Marcie Maxcey, Secretary Bob Whitten; Trustees: Susie Nettleship, Elmo Davis, Angela Johnson, and Kim Kirk; and Alice Smith, reporter for the San Saba News & Star.