The July 14th meeting of the San Saba County Commissioners Court was called to order by Judge Byron Theodosis, followed with the invocation by Ricky Lusty and everyone joined in for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
There were no concerned citizens in attendance; however, Brenda Land was in attendance for Special Action Item #23 - Approve or Reject Proposed Revision to San Saba County Commissioner Precinct Lines. It was stated that Item #23 is tabled because County Attorney David Williams would not be at the meeting today.
The following County Official or Departmental Reports were discussed and approved subject to audit:
• County Clerk Kim Wells' report - civil case filings have increased;
• Treasurer's report - County Officials and Departments are working on getting budget info to Gayla. Judge Theodosis would like to recommend a 5% raise for County employees. This depends on funds available;
• Justice of the Peace report - Steady increase - need another patrol officer for the county; and
• County Sheriff and Jail Report - averaged 7.9 in jail for month of June.
The following reports were in the Commissioners' folders and no action needed: County Extension Agents, County Indigent Health Care Program Director, County Grant Writer, County EMS Billing, County Emergency Management Coordinator, County On-Site Sewage Facility Management Coordinator, County 9-1-1 Coordinator, and County Damage Management Technician Report (trapper).
Marsha Hardy, County Coordinator, reported that she is making a database checking bacteria levels of the river at different areas. This can affect swimming and fishing and also indicate dead animal pollution.
The Court took action on the following Special Action Items after discussion:
• Approved Continuing Conservation Contract, Pct. 4, Dale Locklear;
• Tabled introduction of Brandon Miller, the new San Saba County EMS Executive Director, until next meeting;
• Approved Resolution 2008-4, Texas Parks and Wildlife, funds from Annual License Renewal Fees for Predator Control - small additional fee added for local use;
- Commissioners went to Action Item #2 and approved Accounts Payable with the exception of the library bill which will be paid when work is inspected and roof completed;
• Approved proposed protection for Edgar T. Neal Bootprint by County Historical Commission;
• Tabled Proposed Revisions of County Employee Manual (Les Dawson, Committee Chair). Commissioners will request to see the revisions before next meeting.;
- Interrupted Special Action Items and approved the minutes of the previous Commissioners Court meeting;
• Approved to retain current levels on County Road and Bridge fees on license plates issued in San Saba County - no increase at this time;
• Tabled the proposed revision to San Saba County Commissioner Precinct lines;
- Keith Shahan interrupted the meeting to show a check in the amount of $60,000 which he will deposit into the Airport Account. This check is one-third of the amount needed for the airport.
• Approved the purchase of six additional Burn Ban signs, which can be ordered now if funds available;
• Tabled the proposed bid of $4,432.50 for CTTC Wireless Internet Connection for the County Courthouse - need budget information and monies availability;
• Approved the Election Judges submitted by Ms. Grusendorf and Ms. Dyer;
• Rejected lifting Burn Ban because of dry conditions; and
• Set the next Commissioners Court date for 9 a.m. on Monday, July 28th.
Otis Judkins and Ricky Lusty gave a report on the Regency Bridge inspection and there are no major problems at this time.
Kenley Kroll is going to get additional information about insurance for our volunteer fire departments which is good coverage at a much smaller premium. Kroll had a problem understanding and hearing during the meeting (I believe it had something to do with a BANG!). McGehee sympathized with him.
Those attending the meeting were: Judge Byron Theodosis, Commissioners Roger McGehee, Kenley Kroll, Otis Judkins and Ricky Lusty; County Clerk Kim Wells, Administrative Assistant Cathi Miles, County Coordinator Marsha Hardy, County Clerk Kim Wells, County Treasurer Gala Hawkins, County Tax Office Brenda Land, Court Bailiff Mike Edgmon, and Alice Smith, San Saba News Reporter.