The Board of Trustees of San Saba ISD met on Monday, April 11th at 6:00 p.m. in the Central Administration Office. President, Darrin Barker, called the meeting to order and established a Quorum with all Board members present. Barker gave the invocation followed by everyone joining for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
The Student of the Month at the Elementary campus is Taylor Smith. Nimo Vega and Juan Tobias are Students of the Month at the Middle School campus.
Superintendent, Leigh Ann Glaze gave the following information:
1. The next school Board meeting will be Monday, May 9th at 6:00 p.m.
2. The staff development planning sessions will be May 31st to June 3rd, with Board members needed to attend the June 3rd session.
3. The Lamar Academy Board Training was April 8th and 9th.
4. A letter was received from UIL congratulating the Girls Basketball Team on their skills and conduct and a letter from UIL with notice of some reimbursement funds for expenses.
5. Received a UIL survey with 21 questions to answer regarding cutting the budget.
6. An auditor will be selected at the May meeting for auditing the 2010-2011 school year.
7. Received notice that the waiver was approved for the day off school for power outage.
8. Superintendent Glaze has been nominated to TACS; selected for TASA Region XV Executive Committee.
9. The office staff’s summer work schedule will be a 4-day week, 10 hour days.
10. Gave an update on current Grants and applying for Grants for the 2011-2012 school year.
11. The High School is planning a Techno Mania on May 23rd at 6:00 p.m. The Grand Prize winner will receive an iPad; each contestant will receive a T-shirt and prizes in each of the five category entries
The Board approved the following Consent Agenda:
A. The regular and executive meetings minutes from March 10th and April 7th.
B. Amended 2010-2011 budget.
C. Paid bills.
D. Financial Report.
E. Accepted $600.00 donation from Little Dillo Basketball.
F. Accepted student transfers for the 2010-2011 school year.
G. Accepted the Pre-Ed Grant budget.
H. Set May 17th at noon to canvas election of May 14th.
Assistant Superintendent, Michael Bohensky, reported on the following: Testing for Math, Reading; Tutorials and End of Course exams; Training for Cscope will be in June and a Conference will be in August.
Elementary Principal, Kay Shakleford, reported 306 students in elementary and 14 in Head Start; the attendance of 95.68%; Saturday, March 26 was a weather make-up day; the Principal attended a Job Fair at Tarleton on April 5th and a Head Start parent meeting for upcoming kindergarten students; a Heart of Texas inclusion specialist has done training with teachers April 5th; the 30 minutes added for make-up day has been implemented; gave dates of upcoming events from April 16th to May 27th, last day of school.
Middle School Principal, Vicki Key, reported 191 students; 97.42% attendance; March 26th was OFYP day; trained all teachers for the April TAKS administration; The TELPAS was given to 5th - 8th grade LEP students March 22; the 6th & 7th graders took the AIMSWEB assessment on April 8th; Tutorials and hands on work in all grades; a science night is planned for April 19th; Band contest for 7th & 8th graders is April 14th in Llano.
High School Principal, Woody Martin reported 198 students and attendance rate of 96.26%; three students are in alternative education avenues through The Master’s ISD program; UIL report and OFYP report; Tennis UIL District results for boys and girls; registration and orientation for 8th graders is in progress; District track will be next week; preparing for TAKS; will PLAN OUR WORKand then WORK OUR PLAN.
Athletic Director, Jeff Pannell, reported everything is going good and very busy; Middle School Track finished this past Saturday and everything went good; Golf - 3rd round District,
Tuesday; High School District Track Wed./Thurs. at Hico; Baseball and Softball trying to get in Playoffs; 13 going to Regionals in Tennis; 2 going to Regionals in Golf; Sports Banquet and Physicals are in May.
Action was taken on the following New Business:
a. The Board approved a Commodity agreement - next school year’s meals supplier.
b. Gave the first reading of the 2011-2012 Calendar.
c. Tabled starting points for STAAR policy.
d. Approved application for Pre-Ed Grant - "Grow Your Own Teacher"
e. Approved the summer maintenance projects for painting, floors waxed, repairs and improvements.