Valerie Cortinovis, Executive Director of USDA’s Farm Service Agency in San Saba County reminds producers that the deadline to sign up for the 2011 Direct and Counter-cyclical Payment (DCP) program is June 1, 2011.
Payments are calculated using base acres and payment yields established for each farm. Eligible producers receive direct payments at rates established by statute regardless of market prices. Advance payments of 22 percent on the 2011 DCP program will be available starting December 1, 2010. The remaining 78 percent of the DCP payment will be issued after October 1, 2011.
Counter-cyclical payments vary depending on market prices, and are issued only when the effective price for a commodity is below its target price (which takes into account the direct payment rate, market price and loan rate).
"It is important that producers submit their DCP contracts before June 1, 2011 because applications will not be approved after this date," said Cortinovis.
Producers can fill out a DCP contract at any USDA Service Center or online. To access the online service, producers must have an active USDA Authentication Level 2 account. To get a Level 2 account, producers must complete an online registration form at www.eauth.egov.usda.gov and then visit the local USDA Service Center to verify their identity.
For more information about DCP, please contact the San Saba County FSA office at 325 372-3091. Information can also be obtained on line at http://www.fsa.usda.gov.