The San Saba City Council conducted a regular meeting on Tuesday, March 8th at 6 p.m. in the City Hall. Mayor Ken Jordan called the meeting to order and announced a quorum with Martha Leigh Whitten absent. Charlie Peeler gave the invocation with everyone joining for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
Jake Lackey was presented the March Employee of the Month Award. He received a $25 certificate to use at a local restaurant, a day off with pay and his name inscribed on the plaque. Jake has worked for the City in the Parks Department for 3 1/2 years.
The following consent agenda items were approved:
1. Minutes from the February 15th meeting.
2. Payment of bills presented to City Council.
3. Resolution No. 2011-02 in accordance with 12 U.S.C. 1701u. (Section 3) which provides job training, employment & contracting opportunities for Section 3 residents & businesses of the areas in which the program/project is being carried out.
4. Resolution No. 2011-03, appointing election officials for the May 14th election.
5. Request from Keep San Saba Beautiful to appoint Susie Jimenez Executive Director and appoint Phillice Magallanes as a new commission member for a term ending January 2013.
The Council approved one action item: Ordinance No. 2011-03 adopting an ordinance regulating dangerous building & structures within the city.
City Manager, Stan Weik reported on the sidewalk project; archeologists behind Resien building; paving walking path; TxDOT plans to light entrance to Mill Pond Park; Museum work completed; Golf Course #5 has been redone; Keep America Beautiful luncheon will be held at noon Thursday, March l7th.
All department supervisors reported that everything was going well. Tony Guidroz, Tourism/Developement, reported the following: Thursday, March 10th San Saba Awards Banquet; Skate night will be Friday, March 11th; Friday March 18th there will be video games, fooze ball and other games at the Civic Center; Scott Glaze & Tony attended the Bottled Water Assn. meeting in New Orleans last week; Tony attended certification classes at The Woodlands.
April 9th will be the next cleanup for Keep San Saba Beautiful. March 14th was the deadline to file for City Council. The City Council members whose terms are up are Charlie Peeler, Shawn Oliver and Marvin Riggs.
Mayor Jordan adjourned the meeting.