Are you on Medicare? Do you have limited income and resources? Do you need assistance with your prescription drugs? If you answer "Yes" to these questions, you may qualify for Low Income Subsidy (LIS) and/or the Medicare Savings Programs.
The Area Agency on Aging of Central Texas (AAACT), a partner agency of the Central Texas Aging & Disability Resource Center and your designated State Health Insurance Program (SHIP), can assist you in determining if you are eligible for the following programs:
Low Income Subsidy (LIS) or Extra Help can help you pay your Medicare Part D premiums, deductibles, co-payments and co-insurance, and your prescriptions will be discounted. To qualify for Extra Help:
· Your resources must be limited to $12,640 for an individual and $25,260 for a married couple. Resources include such things as bank accounts, stocks and bonds. Your home and vehicle does not count as resources;
· Your annual income must be limited $16,335 for an individual and $22,065 for a married couple
The Medicare Savings Programs assists people with limited incomes and resources to pay some or all of their Medicare premiums and may pay Medicare deductibles and co-insurance and even help pay costs of Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. There are four Medicare Savings Programs available:
· Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB): Monthly income must be limited to $908 for an individual and $1,226 for a married couple.
· Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB): Monthly income must be limited to $1,089 for an individual and $1,471 for a married couple.
· Qualified Individuals (QI-1): Monthly income must be limited to $1,226 for an individual and $1,655 for a married couple.
· Qualified Disabled Working Individuals (QDWI): Monthly income must be limited to $1,815 for an individual and $2,452 for a couple.
· Resources for QMB, SLMB and QI-1 are limited to $6,680 for an individual and $10,020 for a couple.
· Resources for QDWI are limited to $4000 for an individual and $6000 for a couple.
If you have limited income, you know that sometimes making ends meet means making tough decisions. That should not mean going without your medications. To ensure that you have the prescription drugs you need to stay healthy and keep doing what you love, contact the Area Agency on Aging of Central Texas, your designated State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) at 254.770.2330 or 1.800.447.7169 for information and assistance.