The San Saba ISD Board of Trustees held a regular meeting on Wednesday, December 15th in the Central Administration Office. President Darrin Barker called the meeting to order, established a Quorum with Board member Michael Deans absent, and gave the invocation followed by everyone joining for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
Elementary Principal Kay Shackleford presented the Student of the Month Award to Jetta Gomez. High School Principal Woody Martin presented the Student of the Month Award to Anita Gamboa. Middle School Principal Vicki Key announced that the Middle School Student of the Month is Micah Cox, who was unable to attend the presentation.
Assistant Superintendent Michael Bohensky presented gift bags and a $10 certificate for ALCO to three students as Fort Concho Essay Winners. The winners were given their awards after they read their essays regarding their trip to Fort Concho. The three winners were Zariah Arzate, Megan Sanchez and Hallie Taylor.
Patrick Kline, of Kline and Krause, distributed and commented on the 2009-2010 Audit Report. The report found everything in good order, no negative areas and did not exceed the original Budget. The Board unanimously approved the Audit report and signatures were signed on the original document.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze reported on the following items:
1. The next Board meeting will be Wednesday, January 12th at 6 p.m.
2. TAKS Performance Incentives is a program that is in the budget based on District results.Checks will be given to teachers the last day of school.
3. Six High School students have been selected to go to the Atomic Learning, Holly Wardell, Texas Capitol Schoolhouse Invitation in Austin on January 31st.
4. SSISD is required to have a summer feeding program this year.
5. Did not have a complete amount on the funds for gate fees at the Football playoffs.
6. SSISD will sign up for a Pre-Ed Grant that will fund 2 Science teachers for 2 years.
7. A sale of used equipment, desks, tv’s and items that are not needed or outdated has been advertised in the Newspaper for two weeks and will be sold Monday, December 20th. A non-profit organization has been selected to be given the items that does not sell.
8. During Christmas break the grease traps will be pumped; sand distributed on the track;and material will be sprayed on the playground in specific areas in order to be up to code.
9. Training will be at the Lamar Academy in April where there will be speakers and continuing education points.
10. Each board member was given a CD of all the football games as a gift from the coaching staff.
11. A pamphlet regarding Avid, a very dynamic curriculum teaching technique was distributed and will be during an Austin Leadership Training in January.
The following items were approved by the Board:
A. Regular meeting minutes for November 15th.
B. Amended 2010-2011 budget.
C. Allowed and pay bills.
Assistant Superintendent Michael Bohensky reported on the following: charting, grading, data and direction of goals; all the Benchmarking will be complete Thursday, December 16th; discussed C-scope and assessments. The student level review will be on November 30th.
Athletic Director, Jeff Pannell, gave the football statistics for the 2010 season; 93 players are signed up for basketball with 11 teams; the gym will be closed December 20 to 26th; tournament schedules are in progress; and starting in January there will be softball, baseball and track.
Middle School Principal, Vicki Key reported 192 students and a 96.59 % attendance rate; The SSISD Middle School sponsored UIL event required a lot of people, blocked off street for the event, and 15 buses from other schools brought students; reported on OFYP Day, the Avid program, C-scope, Benchmark, accessments and the Region Band.
Elementary Principal, Kay Shackleford, reported 317 students plus headstart and a 96.46% attendance rate; students went to Early for UIL; a fundraiser with Mrs. Crosby in charge was a big success; there was a campus snapshot; the third grade students went to Fort Concho; Benchmark testing was in November; getting ready for some in-school/after school tutorials; made a video of the Christmas program this week.
High School Principal, Woody Martin reported 201 students and a 96.78% attendance rate; Benchmarks are completed; getting prepared for the end of the year tests; dual credit course students; attendance incentives have been going o.k. but looking for new ones; also need incentives for learning, getting higher grades and staying in school to graduate.
During New Business, the Board took action on the following:
1. Approved members to the Textbook Committee.
2. Accepted the report of Board Training Hours.
3. Selected from 8 bids and approved the purchase of a new passenger vehicle; a 2011 Suburban for $33,061($40,000 was budgeted).
4. Discussed the 2009-2010 ESL Annual Report.
5. Reviewed reports of Elementary School building condition and possible bond election.
President Barker adjourned the meeting and announced a short break before the Executive Session.
During the Executive Session the Board regretfully accepted the resignation of High School Teacher, Nan Marley.