The old grammar school, a landmark for 50 years, will begin to topple soon, saddening many hearts who put time, work and money into its building.
Some remember the building as the one they attended, raised money for, taught in or helped build.
Several San Sabans remember well the thrill and pride San Saba had because of its new school house. The $40,000 structure was termed "the best in this and surrounding counties,:" but that was 50 years ago and today, although it has served well, another edifice is prepared to take its place.
Early files of the News tell of the beginning of the soon-to-be-forgotten sandstone school.
The earliest report found, came from the files of Feb. 24, 1910. It read: "The board has met with Mr. Coryell of the contracting firm who reported that the lumber bills had been sent in to the mills and that contractor Waterson and architect Page would be here in several days to begin active work.
The plan is to erect two buildings that will answer for school purposes and these, with the other building on the campus and one across the street will give room enough for the students until the new building is ready to occupy. After the school buildings have been moved into the new stone buildings, the wooden buildings will be sold and with very little expense can be remodeled and made into nice residences."
In March of that year, the architect, C.H. Page, and contractor, James Waterson, were down from Austin and closed arrangements for construction. A contract was let to John McKenna to construct a temporary building so that school could resume in September while construction was being completed on the new building. Bids for the demolition of the old limestone school were to be opened March 4, 1910.
Then later in the year, the News files of Sept. 8 stated: "The public school opened Monday morning and is moving off with clockwork precision. The temporary buildings are being used and will be until the new building is completed. The attendance is good and already the grades are crowded with 25 pupils present the first day.
Superintendent Repp has the situation well in hand and by organizational tactics is holding the pupils all day.
It was thought that a part of the pupils might have to be instructed in the forenoon and a part in the afternoon, but this condition is being guarded against."
The assignment of teachers for that first year was E.S. Repp, superintendent, history and civics; George S. Fulbright, principal and mathematics; Miss Kate Flack, assistant in mathematics in the high school department and teacher in 7th grade.
In the intermediate department, Mrs. Bama Hunter, teacher of the 6th and 7th grades; Mill Lucy Rector of the 5th grade. Primary department teachers were Miss Willie Berry, fourth grade; Mrs. Arma Walters, teacher of the 3rd grade; Mrs. Cora Daniels, 2nd grade; and Miss Susie Lewis, 1st grade. Continued next week.