It has a way of grabbing hold and not turning loose. I am not talking about an animal. What I refer to has a way of invading the mind and lingering on forever. It is hard to dismiss some of the experiences we have in life. In the end, this will destroy marriages, families and will devour your soul. It could cause you to lose your home with God. "Well, what is it?" you ask.
It is something that every second $3,075 is spent on. Every second 28,258 internet users take part in it. Every 39 minutes a new one is created. The revenue it brings in is larger than Microsoft, Google, Amazon, EBay, Yahoo!, Apple, Netflix and EarthLink (COMBINED). If you haven’t guessed it by now it is pornography.
We discussed this recently in a Bible class. The Apostle Paul said we are to "abstain from every form of evil" (1 Thess. 5:22 NASB). He told the Ephesians, "But do not let immorality or any impurity or greed be named among you..." (Eph. 5:2 NASB).
If you are someone who has this problem consider the plan of action that Michael Leahy, author of Porn Nation; Conquering Americas #1 Addiction gives to those who want to rid themselves of this in their lives.
1. Admit to yourself you ARE a porn addict and know that porn is a want, not a need
2. You must go cold Turkey-block all internet porn sites, get rid of all porn materials
3. Confess to a friend and ask them to act as a "buddy" to watch your back
4. Repent-truly be sorry for what you have done, otherwise you won’t feel the need to change
5. Praying for deliverance helps, ask God for help on a daily basis
6. Go to a trained counselor/therapist to address underlying issues
7. Find healthier, non computer related ways of using time
Written by Christine Fadhley