Chef's Choices: Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes are a southern tradition made famous by the movie of the same name. They are so popular in the south that gardeners plant extra slicing tomatoes to be harvested green for this recipe.
4 green tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
1 cup flour
1 egg beaten with cup skim milk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
Canola oil for frying
1. Assemble ingredients. Spread flour on a sheet of waxed paper or on a plate. Put the egg wash in a shallow dish.
2. Spread the cornmeal on a sheet of waxed paper or plate, add salt and pepper, and mix well.
3. Dredge the tomato slices in flour and shake off the excess.
4. Dip each slice in the egg wash and drain off excess, and then coat with the cornmeal, shaking off excess gently. Place on a tray and set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a large heavy (preferably cast iron) skillet over a medium flame. When hot, add the tomato slices. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Cook several minutes, until golden, then turn. Drain on paper towels and serve while still hot. Makes 5 servings.
Glenn Fitzgerald gave me this recipe about 6 years back. One of Daddy & Lady Z’s most favored dishes & fixed them a platter of these just last week. Thanks to Tennessee for the green tomatoes.
——Guten Appetit———D. Harkey