The Board of Trustees of San Saba ISD held a Regular Meeting on Monday, June 14th at 6 p.m. in the Central Administration Office. President Darrin Barker called the meeting to order followed by the invocation and everyone joined for the pledges to the American and Texas flags. All Trustees were present for a quorum.
Newly elected trustees, Susie Nettleship and Kevin Shahan, were sworn into office and repeated and signed the Oath of Office. The following officers were nominated and approved: Darrin Barker, President; Marcie Maxcey, Vice President; Kim Kirk, Secretary.
SSISD received a Superior Achievement Award from the Texas Education Agency - School Finances - being graded for stability and achievements.
SSISD submitted local media names to the Texas Association of School Boards and they were recognized and given certificates to the Media Honor Roll. Those honored are Skeebo Norris, KBAL; Karen Faught and Alice Smith, San Saba News & Star.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze reported on the following:
1. July school board meeting will be Monday, July 12th at 6 p.m.
2. 151 students were given drug testing (did not include testing for steroids) with 137 results negative.
3. The PEIMS end of the year enrollment report was compared to last year's. 782 students attended SSISD this school year which was a higher attendance than the first day of school which is usually a lower number at the end of the school year.
4. Scheduled a Budget Workshop for Thursday, June 24th at 5:30 p.m. and handed out insurance information to be studied for the budget.
5. Summer maintenance update included working on gym floors in July; finish track resurfacing; getting ready for a public sale at the Ag Barn of items no longer needed such as desks; fence and gate at Bus Barn so that vehicles can be locked up; painting and cleaning is scheduled.
6. The health insurance programs were reviewed and discussed.
7. Gave Grant updates for Tier III Grant; Vision 2020; T3 and Conference Grant Recipients will be in August.
8. The TASB will be in San Antonio for Board of Trustees Training.
The following items were approved by the Board:
A. The regular Board meeting minutes and Executive Session minutes from May 10th.
B. Amended 2009-2010 budget.
C. Allow and pay bills.
D. Financial report.
E. Student transfers for 2010-2011 school year.
Michael Bohensky gave a report on the following: CSCOPE; Confidential Student Report’s; Teacher Training; Workshops preparing for next year; Projections; TAKS District & State comparisons; TELPAS report - accountability and improvements for year.
Elementary Principal, Kay Shackelford, reported 275 students plus 15 Head Start children at the year end; Summer School is very important and includes preparing for 5th grade TAKS.
Vicki Key gave the Middle School report of 212 students at the end of the year; 33 in summer school, grades 5th to 8th grades; tests will be the 29th and 30th of June.
Superintendent Glaze gave Coach Pannell’s report that included: Summer Strength & Conditioning is going good with sixty-six 7th thru 12th grade boys and girls signed up, averaging 25 a session; 68 High School boys coming out for football (up 18 from last year); 40 high school boys will be attending camp; Summer Girls Basketball League is going good; the Boys High School Basketball Summer League team has games scheduled; gave predictions for pre-season candidates; distributed summer calendar and football schedule; and coaches will be attending Coaching Training in San Angelo.
The following New Business items were approved:
a. ESC XV Contracts for 2010 - 2011 School Year.
b. Accepting donation from BCIS II Class for tennis court resurfacing project. Recognized the BCIS II Class as amazing and resourceful in projects to raise thousands of dollars and they are to be commended for this.
President Darrin Barker adjourned the meeting and announced a short break before the Executive Session. Attending the meeting were: Superintendent, Leigh Ann Glaze; President, Darrin Barker; Vice President, Marcie Maxcey; Secretary, Kim Kirk; Board members, Bob Whitten, Susie Nettleship, Michael Deans, Kevin Shahan; Principals Michael Bohensky and Kay Shackleford; Business Manager, Buck Martin; Secretary to the Superintendent, Jackie Dyer; Middle School Counselor, Vicki Key; and Alice Smith, San Saba News & Star Reporter.
During the Executive Session the Board hired Michael Bohensky, Assistant Superintendent; Norwood (Woody) Martin, High School Principal; Vicki Key, Middle School Principal; Jenny Spinks, 2nd grade teacher; Miki Martin, 2nd grade teacher. The following resignations were received with regrets: Celia Bell, 6th grade teacher and Renice Burnham, 2nd grade teacher.