The Board of Trustees of San Saba ISD met on Monday, April 12th at 6 p.m. in the Central Office. President Darrin Barker called the meeting to order, recognized a quorum and gave the invocation followed by everyone joining for the pledges to the American and Texas flags.
A Public Comment was made by Sheriff Allen Brown and Officer Freddie. Brown introduced the newest member of the department to be people/child friendly, but aggressive for drugs and cash. Freddie will be making visits to all three school districts in the County doing what he has been trained to do-detect drugs and cash.
The Students of the Month were given outstanding comments by their Principals and given a Certificate, and was assisted by Board member Michael Deans. The awards went to the following: Elementary, Nayeli Aguirre; Middle School, Meredith Meador; High School, Falyn Rainwater.
A video of the Special Olympics participants, Eric Davila and Heath Lackey was enjoyed to the music of "You Make Me Smile," and they were smiling as their efforts were recognized. The staff that assisted them was recognized by the Board.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze reported the following:
1. The next Board meeting will be Monday, May 10th at 6 p.m.
2. The free transportation audit was a good report.
3. A concessions stands comparison of the past five years indicated no loss and a small profit, so they will continue this service.
4. Gave a REMS Grant update.
5. For the technology update, three teachers are enrolled in Light Speed Training. They are Milly Summy, Colleen Womack and Judy McCoy.
6. The School Board Election is set for early voting, April 26th thru May 4th and May 8th will be voting day at City Hall.
7. The waiver was granted SSISD for the Summer Feeding Program because of no community help.
8. The summer work schedule of the district office will be four days weekly with extended hours and closed on Fridays.
9. Randy Henderson, Appraisal District, is working on the county property values that could increase 15 to 30%.
10. The Superintendent and some staff members attended Job Fairs to look for candidates and have some great resumes.
11. Reported on the UIL Alignment - Spring Sports, Cross Country, and Academics.
12. Reservations have been made to stay in San Antonio for the Summer School Board Conference June 14th.
13. A new Capital Credit is available - very low interest loan - part of the government stimulus program - will be considered and decide where it can be used.
14. A contract for work on the track has been signed and the track will close down for around a month to complete the work.
15. Four students will be going to National in Chicago July 1-8 plus one sponsor. Fund raisers for their expenses will be planned.
The following Consent Agenda was approved:
a. Minutes from March 8, 2010 regular meeting.
b. Amended 2009-2010 Budget for Title 1 & Title II and Title I & Title II Stimulus.
c. Payment of bills.
d. Financial report.
Accepted the following Donations:
A. $65,000.00 from Economic Developement.
B. $612.00 from San Saba All Sports Booster Club.
Assistant Superintendent, Ashley Stewart reported on the CSCOPE Progress Report; testing; gave a TAT update; and TEA selected SSISD’s Team Plan, which is an outstanding accomplishment.
Elementary Principal, Kay Shackleford reported 303 students; the 3rd and 4th grades had a Life Skills Program with Missy King; all classes had PE fitness with Ms. Crosby; teachers attended workshops for Special Ed; Easter Parties were very BIG; Headstart will visit and plan for next year when 6-8 students will enroll; Pre K visits have started; preparing students changing from Elementary to Middle School; looking forward to a visitor April 20th who will teach jumping rope skills and activities, and the cost of this will be shared with Brady; students are ready for TACS.
Middle School Principal, Michael Bohensky reported 213 students; scheduled an On-line survey Thursday evening for parents of students; 90 students will attend the Pride program on April 22 for games, food, and special program and guests; reported on spring sports activities with tennis and golf starting; sight reading in Llano will be next week; TACS tests are completed; the 8th graders will be promoted May 27th at 2p.m.
High School Principal, Harper Stewart reported 199 students; May 1, Jr./Sr. Banquet; May 3, Masonic Banquet; May 4, FFA Banquet; May 6, Academic Awards Assembly; May 11, FCCLA Banquet; May 13, Band Concert; May 17, Rotary Honors Banquet; May 20, Athletic Banquet; May 23, Baccalaureate; May 28th, Graduation; TACS tests report; 9 students going to Regional; 4 FCCLA students going to National; recognized the One Act Play and UIL; Drill Team tryouts will be April 17; preparing for 8th graders enrolling in high school and involving parents; gave a tennis report.
Superintendent Glaze gave the Athletic Directors report: Congratulations to Nicole Sears on being named to the TAGC all-state academic basketball team; Congratulations to Coach Cox and the Boys and Girls tennis teams for winning the district championship with 9 to the regional tournament in Odessa on April 20th and 21st; The last district golf is Tuesday, April 13th in Brownwood. 1 or 2 girls will go to regional golf on April 19th and 20th; The baseball team is 9-11 overall and 4-4 in district tied for 3rd; The JV is 8-5-1 and 4-3 in district; The softball team is 1-21 overall and 1-8 in district; The HS district track meet is Wednesday, April 14th and Friday April 16th in Early; last week at Comanche in the JH district track meet, the 7th grade boys finished 2nd, 7th grade girls 4th, the 8th grade boys 6th and the 8th grade girls finished 5th; Upcoming dates: possible Baseball playoffs May ?; Regional track May 3-4; State Tennis and Golf May 10-11; State Track, May 14th and 15th; On May 15th HS boys athletics will team with BCIS to car hop at Sonic for a new mascot uniform; May 19th, Physicals at Armadillo Arena 2:30-5:30; May 20th, Sports Banquet, 6 p.m. at Civic Center.
The Board approved local policy update 87 affecting local policies in the unfinished business. The following New Business items were approved by the Board:
A. San Saba High School Course Catalog, including Career Pathway, helping to plan for college and etc.
B. Honors Courses for San Saba High School and Courses for GPA Credit.
C. Designated Auditor for Year ending August, 2010 to be Kline & Kraus of Fredricksburg.
D. Resolution for TASB Media Honor Roll.
E. May 12th at noon was set for Board meeting to canvas May election returns.
F. The list of general Summer Maintenance Projects.
G. Participation in RUS grants with ESC XV for SSMS and SSES and Info-Net Consortium for SSHS.
H. Participation of courses with TSTC and TVSN.
President Barker adjourned the meeting and announced a short break for the Executive Session.
The Board accepted resignations with regrets from Debra and Joel Gotcher, Bruce Sowers, Bonnie Walker, and Brooke Bagley. The Board also hired Darryl Cash for High School and Kelly Cash for Elementary, and Jim Wheeler for High School Science.
Attending the meeting were: President, Darrin Barker; Vice President, Marcie Maxcey; Superintendent, Leigh Ann Glaze; Assistant Superintendent, Ashley Stewart; Secretary, Kim Kirk; Board Members, Susie Nettleship, Bob Whitten, Angela Johnson, Michael Deans; Principals, Harper Stewart, Michael Bohensky, Kay Shackleford; Business Manager, Buck Martin, Secretary to the Superintendent, Jackie Dyer; and San Saba News & Star Reporter, Alice Smith.