The San Saba Independent School District meeting on Monday evening, April 14th, was called to order by President Darrin Barker, followed by the invocation and pledges to the American and Texas flags.
Mrs. Jane Carter introduced presentations by Jimma Hicks, who placed 5th Place in the state "Job Interview," and Selleca Robles and Jennifer Anaya won 3rd Place in the National Programs in Action with their project "Love is Not Abuse." They won these honors in Galveston, April 6th-8th. Nathania Cisneroz told about her experience serving two years as FCCLA Region II Vice President of Recreation and Vice President of Community Service. She is presently serving as State Vice President of Public Relations. The other two teams will give presentations at the School District meeting in May.
Milly Summy, Director of Technology, gave a short demo of the new website. It will be available online May 23rd.
Superintendent Leigh Ann Glaze gave a report on the following:
• Summer school in San Antonio and Fort Worth for Board members;
• New scoreboard;
• May 27th proposed dinner to honor staff, volunteers, and helpers;
• Acknowledged letter from Judge Theodosis;
• Considering lengthening school day a few minutes to accommodate bus scheduling;
• Discussed free breakfast that has been funded with no cost to our district;
• Annual funding workshop; and
• Will take old buses to an auction.
Assistant Superintendent Ashley Stewart gave a report on curriculum and assessment, including grade results percentages for the last period and distributed testing day schedule.
Dave Underwood, high school principal, handed out campus reports and reported that there will be 91 band members for next year; planning prom for this year the same program as last year; and showed the Board the three winners of the San Saba Logo selected by the San Saba City Council. First Place winner, Larissa Saucillo, received $100.00 and her drawing will be the new San Saba logo; 2nd Place was Jack Whitten, who received $75.00; and 3rd Place was Kelli Cox, who received $50.00.
Middle school principal, Erbey Valdez, handed out campus reports and reported that the band earned a Division 3 rating for sight reading.
Athletic Director Joel Johnson reported on golf, tennis, track, softball, baseball and the new scoreboard that is 25 ft. with sponsors' names.
The following items were voted and unanimously approved:
• Minutes from March 10th regular Board meeting;
• Amend 2007-2008 budget as needed;
• Allow and pay bills;
• Financial Report;
• Cancellation of May 10, 2008 Board of Trustees election;
• Designation of auditor for current year funds;
• Review of School Board training hours; and
• Innovative course application for Diversified Career Prep.
The following new business was voted and unanimously approved:
• District's intent to apply for the TEA Science Lab Grant; and
• District's intent to apply for the TEA 2020 Vision Technology Grant.
The Board was dismissed for a short time before their Executive Session in which action would be taken on the following items:
• Consider hiring, resignations and retirement of personnel;
• Consider student and special education issues;
• Property acquisition/sale and/or business regarding property;
• Legal updates; and
• Other items as needed.
Action taken at the Executive Session included the following:
• Regretfully accepted three resignations: Miss Ervin, high school English teacher; Margie Benner, middle school custodian, and Sue Cisneroz, retiring middle school custodian.
• Hired the following staff: Randall Alford, high school teaching position; Joel Goetcher, high school teaching position; Linda Brozo, high school teacher; and Debra Goetcher, elementary teacher.
Attending the meeting were: Ashley Stewart, Assistant Superintendent; Leigh Ann Glaze, Superintendent; Darrin Barker, President; Marcie Maxcey, Vice President; Bob Whitten, Secretary; Board Members: Susie Nettleship, Elmo Davis, Angela Johnson, and Kim Kirk; Milly Summy, Director of Technology; Jane Carter, teacher, and students, Sellaca Robles, Jennifer Anaya, Jimma Hicks and Nathania Cisneroz; Principals Dave Underwood and Erbey Valdez; Athletic Director Joel Johnson; and San Saba News Reporter, Alice Smith.