Fruits should be an important part of your daily diet. Why? They offer alot of nutrients and fiber. Here are some ways to help you add morefruits to your diet.
1. Make fruits within easy reach. Place a bowl of fresh fruit on the kitchen cabinet and keep pieces of cut-up fruit on the top shelf of the refrigerator.
2. Take pieces of cut up fruit in a baggie with you to work or in the car on a trip.
3. Add fruits to dishes like mandarin oranges to a tossed salad or drained crushed pineapple to pizza for extra flavor, color or texture.
4. Make fruit your dessert choice. A baked apple cooked in the microwave makes a great ending to a meal.
5. Choose fruits for in between meal snacks. Bananas, oranges and dried fruit such as raisins travel well and can be eaten on the run.
6. Recruit your kids to help you cook. Kids can choose fruits they like and be involved in preparing them at home.
7. Think outside the box. Cut fruit and put it on a stick for a tasty kabob or make a refreshing fruit smoothie.
8. Finish it off. Use fruit as a topping for pancakes, waffles, cereal or ice cream.
9. Eating canned fruits is a good alternative when fresh fruits aren’t in season.
10. Visit the courthouse square/farmer’s market to get good buys.
Source: Ellen Schuster, M.S., R.D., associate state specialist, curriculum & staff training coordinator, Family Nutrition Education Programs, Nutritional Sciences, University of Missouri Extension.