The DPS wants Spring Breakers to have fun, but to keep common sense and safety as their constant companions.
DPS troopers in the coastal areas of Texas will have stepped-up enforcement in March looking for speeders, drunk drivers and seat-beat violators.
“Having fun is fine, but getting a DWI or other criminal offense that will be on your record forever is not a good way to go about it,” said DPS Director Col. Stanley Clark. “The drinking age in Texas is still 21 and you face criminal charges if you are underage and drive with any detectable amount of alcohol in your system.”
DPS is offering several tips for a safe Spring Break.
· Don’t drink and drive, and wear your seat belt.
· Find a sober friend to do the driving.
· Keep a fresh driver behind the wheel, or stop every couple of hours to rest.
· Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained.
· Don’t text while driving, and save your cell phone minutes for when your car is not moving.
· Don’t leave your drink unattended, and don’t accept drinks from strangers.
· Keep your friends close.
· Exercise caution if you travel to Mexico.