First pecans of the 2013 harvest
Submitted by Edgar on Wed, 10/23/2013 - 6:33pm
Submitted by Harold Yates, Yates Farms.
Ami and Christi Whitley brought in the first pecans of the 2013 harvest. The pecans were gathered on Yates Farms in the Bethel Community where harvesting is moving into full swing. We’re fortunate in our area that the improved pecan crop looks favorable this year. After the record drought in 2011 and a total crop failure, our orchards were severely stressed. During 2012 we experienced a tough year with a heavy crop set on drought stressed trees resulting in poor quality and low prices. It was sad but we’ve had to spend a good part of 2012 and 2013 removing dead and weak trees from the orchards. You just have to keep on going and take a long term view with fertilizing, spraying and pruning through good times and bad to stay in the pecan business.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/San%20Saba%20News%20and%20StarID404/
Rate this article:
- County approves EMS agreement with Capital EMS and discusses formation of Emergency Services District
- Outstanding District 7 4-H volunteers recognized
- Garrett Ratliff places 2nd in State Guitar Flat Picking Championship
- Local students and adults travel to Spain
- Cherokee Volunteer Fire Department Fish Fry, Raffle and Auction to be held September 6th